Sunday, December 20, 2009

My "Youth Voters Forum"

On Tuesday, December 22, I am giving a talk to an audience of Ukraine young adults (ages 18-25) about youth voting election trends in the United States, and then leading a discussion about their views on Ukraine elections, and how, why, or why not they are involved. I am co-organizing this with the US Embassy Public Diplomacy section, and FLEX and the Alumni Resource Center. Also presenting will be three or four Ukrainian NGOs, and a US Political Officer discussing her youth experiences working on U.S. elections. I've been working on this event/concept for about a month now. Pretty excited. :)

I have two broad goals for this event: 1) To gather a group of young Ukrainians together so I can glean their views of the upcoming election, via open discussion and by presenting them with poll data (see the recent Pew Global Attitudes Project) that suggests that their demographic has become disillusioned with the democratic process, and 2) offering them opportunities to be involved with local and international NGOs.

No comments: